Saturday, December 13, 2008

Burrrrrr!


Just a quick post to share what's happening in our neck of the woods. The news right now is the weather...we are supposed to get a cold snap with temps dropping to freezing and remaining there for a week or better. And yes, I'm speaking about the daytime highs! It is 32 degrees or so out right now, not too bad. But it is supposed to drop below freezing tomorrow with rain and snow in the forecast off and on for the next week. 10 degrees is the forecast low for Sunday night, and hang on, it gets colder...8 degrees on Monday night and 2 degrees on Tuesday night. The daytime temps are not supposed to be above freezing. [When the temp is 2 degrees why bother and count 'em little tick marks? I mean just 2!].
The story is told in our family that my great grandfather Henry hiked from east Portland 70 blocks or so to downtown, walked across the frozen Willamette River to buy a sack of coal to burn for heat, and then hiked back home. In my living memory I have never seen the Willamette frozen. Yet the old timers in these parts speak of not only the Willamette but the Columbia River freezing over. Hmmmm...that's serious. And it seems we are going to see temps that could do that.
How are we preparing you ask? Well, we have lots of firewood stacked...I've wrapped the pipes outside, Pam's got the larder stocked, and we are ready, I guess. Thankfully we can garage both cars, so we should not have to worry about radiators. We'll be just fine.
So that's the news out and about here. Wondering about all our loved ones...and how you are doing on this dark winter's night. Blessing to each of you, and God's grace continue to attend Jini as she recovers from her surgery.

Walt, for the three of us + dog.
["Now where did I put that old Alaskan coat I had...?"

2 Comments:

Blogger The Norvells said...

Ooooh...I wish I was there. I love a couple of days of "really really cold." It is when it extends to weeks and months that I get tired of it. We had some "really really cold" recently, but nothing like 2 degrees......that should be called "really stinkin' cold". Throw a log on the fire for me!

6:04 PM  
Blogger carol grams said...

ahhh...cold...it's cold here...the damp, quiet fog cold, and then the rain...the only time, well I say this, but there are lots of times I like living here, and lots of times I don't like living here, but I digress on the comment blog...when like today...we've had snow on the mountains and it's heavy clouds and darkness and the clouds lift just enough for you to see the snow....hmmm, but we have to turn on the gas 'wood' fireplace...

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home