Thursday, February 18, 2010

Latest News

Postscript: I have begun once again to use my "Medical Blog" to share and update with family and friends the latest developments in my medical situation. Access it through the link provided here.]

Hello to family and friends.
The purpose of this post is to bring everyone up to date on Walt's recent medical issues.

As you know, I have been having quarterly CAT scans to check for the reappearance of my colon cancer. Without going into a whole lot of detail, in December they found that the cancer had returned in my lymph system. The doctors, oncologist and surgeon, both say this is highly unusual, and initially caused them to scratch their heads wondering what was going on. But the recent biopsy I had confirmed that it is colon cancer and it has occurred in two small lymph nodes in my chest.

So that's the news.

As far as what we are doing about it, February 23rd, I had surgery to reinstall a 'power port" in my left shoulder where I had one previously, and on Tuesday, March 2 I will start a new regime of chemotherapy. Because the cancer is in my lymph system, we are told it is not a situation that they can operate on, and there is no "cure" that they can pull off the shelf. Rather they will attempt to fight it via chemotherapy. It seems I will be off and on chemotherapy for sometime, until this is resolved one way or another. The doctors indicate that if we get a good response to the chemotherapy, and the two lymph nodes in question shrink back to normal size, then we have a good prognosis going forward for a number of years. If not, then the situation is less pleasant...smile.

And so that's where we are. I am not excited to begin chemotherapy again. It was pretty difficult last time, and I am not looking forward to doing it again. But it seems that is my only option at this point and so we will proceed as best we can.

Pam and I, are resting in God's kindness and grace. The Scripture teaches that all the trials that we have in life are for our ultimate good, and so we rest in Him. We are endeavoring to live out that Scripture passage from Proverbs 3:5-6, which reads, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths."

And so we are at rest, confident, as I said before, that God is in control.

Thank you for your prayers on our behalf. ...and stay tuned.

Walt, for our family

P.S. The picture is the back of our property against Scappoose Bay. We have had a large number of swans and Canada geese all winter. It has been great to watch them come and go in large flocks. They will clear out of here for the summer and head back north, but we have sure enjoyed them. When they are gone the bald eagles and ospreys will return, and they are great to watch!



2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

your are not alone in this...we are here, praying and lifting you before our Lord!

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We all pray from the "north" that you rest comfortably in the Lord....may his mercy be upon you in all your struggles. We ask this in Jesus's name.

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home